The e-Visa was introduced in April 2006 by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation to promote the blossoming Cambodian tourism industry. Since then, this is the most convenient way for visitors to apply the visa to Cambodia as it offers plenty of advantage over the other types of visa.
All foreigners intending to visit Cambodia as tourists, except for blacklisted countries (Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan and Syria) may apply for an eVisa online for US$36 before arrival. It allows a single entry and a maximum stay of 30 days for tourism purposes.
The application can be done online via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs dedicated platform: https://www.evisa.gov.kh/
There are 7 immigration checkpoints that e-visas are accepted including:
+ 3 International airports:
+ 4 International land borders:
Below is the Google Maps to see the location of these 7 international immigration checkpoints accepting e-Visa
Note: E-visa holders can use all international border crossings to exit Cambodia, even the ones not mentioned in the list above
The e-visa cost US $30, plus a US $7 processing fee, and allow you to stay up to 30 days. The validity of the visa is 3 months starting from the date of issue.
Required documents to apply:
In order to apply for online e-visa, all you need is:
- A passport with validity of more than six months.
- A recent passport-size photo in digital format (JPEG or PNG format).
- A valid credit card (Visa/MasterCard).
6 steps to apply and use your Cambodia e-Visa:
Once you have these documents, the process is very simple:
- Fill in the secure online e-visa form
- Confirm and pay
- Get approval letter within 3 business days (you can have the visa within 24 hours in most of the case)
- Print 2 copies of the e-visa PDF files (one for entry and one for exit)
- Bring them and show to immigration at checking points
- You can entry Cambodia
Note that some third-party websites can offer the services to process your e-visa, but this will likely incur extra cost and is not always trustworthy.
Keep in mind that the Cambodia e-visa is useful only for single-entry trips with tourism purposes and can only be extended once.
You can find some bullet points to remember when apply for Cambodia e-Visa
- Applicant’s passport must be valid for six months from the date of entry into Cambodia.
- The Cambodia e-Visa is only for tourism purposes.
- Your Cambodia e-Visa is valid for 90 days after issued, and the maximum stay within Cambodia is 30 days Total.
- Cambodia e-Visa is not required for citizens of Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Brunei Darussalam and Myanmar. These nationalities can cross the border with just a valid passport.
- Your Cambodia e-Visa may be extended for another 30 days Total by contacting a local police station or immigration office in Cambodia
- No sticker will be issued to you for the e-Visa.
- Print out two (2) copies of the e-Visa certificate. Give one (1) copy to immigration as your Travel Visa upon arrival in Cambodia and one (1) copy upon departure.
- When you travel with an e-Visa, you can ONLY enter Cambodia through the following Ports of Entry: Phnom Penh International Airport, Siem Reap International Airport, Poi Pet (Banteay Meanchey), Bavet (Svay Rieng), Cham Yeam (Koh Kong), Tropaeng Kreal Border Post (Stung Treng) and Sihanoukville International Airport.
You can check below the sample of Cambodia e-Visa for your reference.
Cambodia E-Visa’s limitations
Despite plenty of advantage, Cambodia e-Visa does have some limitations:
- Applicants for an e-visa should time their visit to the official site correctly: if you apply for an e-visa more than three months prior to your trip, your visa application simply won’t be processed.
- The Cambodia e-Visa is useful only for single entry trips and can only be extended once.
- In short, it's a tourist visa that can be procured online; business travelers who need to stay longer or make multiple entries into Cambodia will need to go the usual route to apply for a Cambodia business visa.
As noted previously, the Cambodia e-Visa costs US$7 more, with a processing fee of US$7 tacked on to the usual arrival visa fee of US$30. But if it saves you long trips to distant Cambodian embassies, or if it spares you from long queues in the airport (or the usual regimen of harassment and scams at Cambodia’s notorious land crossings), isn't US$7 a tiny price to pay for the added convenience?
10 Frequently asked questions regarding Cambodia e-Visa
1. What is Cambodia e-Visa?
It is an official document which provides authorization to travel to and from Cambodia and is electronically linked to your passport.
2. What do I need to apply for Cambodia e-Visa?
To apply for Cambodia e-Visa, you need the below documents ready:
- Passport scan
- A digital passport photo
- Credit/Debit card (Visa or Master Card)
3. What is the cost to obtain a Cambodia e-Visa?
The cost to process the Cambodia e-Visa is $37/visa, which is $7 more from the normal visa on arrival. But it is worth avoiding the distance to the nearest embassy, or the queue and sometimes the scams at the airport.
4. How long does it take to process a Cambodia e-Visa?
The normal processing time is about 3 days if there is no problem. It is the fact that we have the report of shorter processing time in just around 24 hours or less.
5. How long is Cambodia eVisa valid for?
It is valid for 90 days after issued. This means you must enter Cambodia within 90 days after issued. If not, you need to apply for a new e-Visa to enter the country.
6. How long must my passport be valid for in order to apply for a Cambodia e-Visa?
Applicant’s passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of entry into Cambodia. Also, it should have at least one blank page.
7. How long can I stay in Cambodia with e-Visa?
The maximum stay allowed in Cambodia is 30 days in total.
8. What countries are eligible for Cambodia e-Visa?
Most of the countries are eligible for Cambodia e-Visa except the ones in Visa exemption scheme and the one from the blacklisted countries. See these two below in this article.
9. Can I apply for the Cambodia e-Visa upon arrival?
No. The e-Visa must be obtained prior to your entry into Cambodia.
10. Is the Cambodia e-Visa for Single or multiple entry?
Cambodia e-Visa comes with single entry only.