Vietnam Covid-19 Vaccine Policy
International travellers, including returning Vietnamese and foreign residents, who are above 12 years of age should get fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with a vaccine approved by Vietnam Ministry of Health (MoH) or the World Health Organisation (WHO) no less than 14 days before their travel date. Those travelling to Vietnam must get fully vaccinated.
For travellers under 12 years, the following new rules apply from March 15th, 2022.
- Travellers 2-11 years of age, travelling with parents, are exempt from this vaccination requirement.
- Travellers under 2 years of age, travelling with parents with a negative RT-PCR test result within 72 hours before travelling, are not required to have a pre-arrival negative RT-PCR test result when entering the country.
Travellers with the history of COVID-19 infection who have recovered by medical treatments and travellers who have received at least 1 dose of an approved vaccine after post-infection must have a certificate of COVID-19 recovery.
*All travellers, except those under 2 years of age, must have a Medical Certificate with an RT-PCR lab result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected issued no more than 72 hours before travelling.
List of approved COVID-19 vaccines
Currently, the MoH has approved the following manufacturers and vaccines:
- CoronaVac by Sinovac Biotech Ltd – 2 doses needed / 2-4-week interval;
- AstraZeneca or Covishield by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford, SK Bioscience (South Korea), Siam Bioscience, and Serum Institute of India (Covishield) – 2 doses needed / 4-12-week interval;
- Pfizer–BioNTech or Comirnaty by Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech 2 doses needed / 3-week interval;
- Janssen or Janssen/Ad26.COV2.S by Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. – 1 dose needed;
- Moderna by Moderna Inc. – 2 doses needed / 4-week interval);
- Sinopharm or COVILO by Sinopharm Co., Ltd. – 2 doses needed / 3-4-week interval);
- Sputnik V by the Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology – 2 doses needed – 3-week interval);
- Abdala by AICA Laboratories Cuba - 3 does needed - 2 week interval
- Covaxin by Bharat Biotech International Limited – 2 doses needed / 4-week interval.
Meanwhile, the WHO’s guidance on the COVID-19 vaccines is available here.
Have you been fully vaccinated?
According to the MoH, travellers are considered fully vaccinated if:
- They get their second dose of a 2-dose vaccine; such as, the AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines, no less than 14 days before their travel date to Vietnam.
- They get a single-dose vaccine; such as, Janssen vaccine, no less than 14 days before their travel date to Vietnam.
- They get their third dose of vaccine Abdala no less than 14 days before their travel date to Vietnam.
- In case of mix-and-match vaccines, travellers should get their second dose of a different vaccine within the recommended interval of the first vaccine no less than 14 days before their travel date to Vietnam. For example, if the first vaccine is CoronaVac from Sinovac Biotech and the second vaccine is AstraZeneca, the time between the two doses is 2-4 weeks.
Travellers who do not meet these criteria may be denied entry into Vietnam.
Requirements for the ‘Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination’
The travellers’ Certificate of COVID-19 Vaccination should contain the following details:
- Given name and last name;
- Date of Birth;
- Passport or Identification No.;
- Name of the COVID-19 vaccine;
- Vaccination dates;
- Vaccine manufacturer and lot/batch number;
- Authorised organisation in the country of origin.
In addition to being fully vaccinated, international travellers should have all of their advance arrangements in good order for arrival and entry. For more information on Vietnam's reopening programmes, see: https://sonasia-holiday.com/reopening-vietnam/.
My name is Jolie, I am a Vietnamese girl growing up in the countryside of Hai Duong, northern Vietnam. Since a little girl, I was always dreaming of exploring the far-away lands, the unseen beauty spots of the world. My dream has been growing bigger and bigger day after day, and I do not miss a chance to make it real. After graduating from the univesity of language in Hanoi, I started the exploration with a travel agency and learning more about travel, especially responsible travel. I love experiencing the different cultures of the different lands and sharing my dream with the whole world. Hope that you love it too!